Sunday, June 19, 2022

2022 Album Showdowns: Tier 2 Week 8


The results of last few Tier 2 eliminations include:

M83 – Oblivion VS. Hollywood Burns – The Age of Saucers

M83 – Oblivion OST

Kalandra – The Line VS. Once and Future Band – Once and Future Band

Kalandra – The Line

Tom McGuire & the Brassholes – Tom McGuire& the Brassholes VS. Cynic – Ascension Codes

Cynic – Ascension Codes

 

Its usually the case that the “genre clash” showdowns give me the most trouble, but even though that Tom McGuire album is the first funk-rock album I have connected with in a very long time, Cynic is really hard to beat right now.  The synth bass on Ascension Codes just rocks my legs. 

No, this time around the most contentious showdown was definitely Kalandra VS. Once and Future Band.  Keep in mind that Once and Future Band was a big, big player last year with Deleted Scenes, and that any real contender would have to deal with this preconception.  It is partially due to the fact that I loved that album SO much in 2021 that the nearly imperceptible lean towards a more traditional prog approach worked against them ever so slightly.  Kalandra, on the other hand, has impressed me from the first listen.  I have found it very difficult to let go of the idea of continuing my engagement with the album, so it goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment