Friday, April 22, 2022

Album Eliminations 2022: Tier 2, Week 3

 This weeks eliminations went down like this:

Brendan Eder Ensemble - Cape Cod Cottage VS. Nejira - Blume
Nejira - Blume

Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend VS. The Anchoress - The Art of Losing
The Anchoress - The Art of Losing

Mononeon - Put On Earth For You VS. Common - A Beautiful Revolution Pt. 2
Mononeon - Put On Earth For You

Getting into these later tiers assumes more and more difficulty.  I have to very often eliminate  REALLY great albums for the sake of the process, so to be clear, I am not in any way saying that eliminated albums are poor.  Most often, its a matter of details or, admittedly, how I am feeling that day.  

All three of these were tough, especially the Mononeon VS. Common.  Mononeon's enviable artistry and unique vision edged him out over Common, but only slightly.  In fact, I see Common as a potential year-end Top 20 entry, so it feels a bit premature for A Beautiful Revolution pt. 2 to be out of the game.

So, this year I am formalizing the "save" process.  I will cite six "saves" from tier 2 and 3 eliminations this Spring, which I will narrow to three the week of June 1.  I will do the same for the Fall.  These saves will form a final round with the December roundup entries.

This "apples and oranges" process is often problematic, I know, but it produces satisfying results in the end.  Having some level of redundancy makes me feel like I gave all albums the best chances possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment