Sunday, May 28, 2023

2023 Album Showdown Results: Spring Mix 1


To get everything to work out before mid-year and still give new music a chance to simmer, this week has a mix of Tier 2 and a few Tier 3 showdowns. Tier 3 are really tough, as all of those entries have passed previous showdowns to get there. My philosophy in dealing with those requires a measure of uncharacteristic ruthlessness. A small vocal affectation or inconsistency can make the difference. I refer often to a quote from M. Night Shamalayn in relationship to editing a script - you sometimes have to cut out your favorite part (or, in the case, album). It is helpful to remember that the goal at this point is to generate an airtight mid-year list, not necessarily denigrate otherwise amazing music.


Tier 2 Results


Kate Davis - Fish Bowl VS. Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B


Kate Davis - Fish Bowl



Very tough choice, but as much as I love Jockstrap’s eclectic concept, it worked against them a bit in this case.  The best parts of I Love You Jennifer B. posed a real threat, but Fish Bowl’s musically informed consistency gave it the win.



Moonlight Benjamin - Wayo VS. Sault - Earth


Sault - Earth



Moonlight Benjamin’s voodoo blues is intense and compelling, but also heavy-handed in comparison to Sault’s stylistically hybridized R&B.  It’s interesting how, out of the five albums that Sault dropped last Fall, Earth is the one that has risen to the top - but I stand by it.


Tier 3


Riverside - I.D.Entity VS. Skald - Huldufolk


Riverside - I.D.Entity



Huldufolk’s contemporary take on Viking music is a musically inspiring family favorite, so it is unfortunate that it ended up in direct competition with a serious contender for Album of the Year.  This is why we have saves, folks…..


Johann Johannson - Englaborn & Variations VS. Frank Sinatra - Watertown


Johann Johannson - Englaborn & Variations



Sinatra is a musical conjurer.  Especially in his later career, he was able to imbue lyrics with meaning using little more than the strength of his intentions.  Johannson, however, was a true magician.  



Viewer’s Choice

Tier 2


Kate Davis - Fish Bowl VS. Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B


Kate Davis - Fish Bowl


Moonlight Benjamin - Wayo VS. Sault - Earth


Sault - Earth


Tier 3


Riverside - I.D.Entity VS. Skald - Huldufolk


Riverside - I.D.Entity


Johann Johannson - Englaborn & Variations VS. Hrishikesh Hirway - Rooms I Used To Call My Own


Johann Johannson - Englaborn & Variations




No comments:

Post a Comment