Saturday, April 22, 2023

2023 Album Showdown Series: Tier 2 Week 2


Interesting things are staring to happen when we get to Tier 2.
  First of all, the Viewer’s Bracket has started to diverge.  Some of those showdowns may not look anything like the prime bracket, and I find that to be VERY interesting.  Secondly, from Tier 2 on, albums that do not move on to the next bracket will actually be removed from consideration for Album of the Year, and not just punted to a later bracket. There is still a level of redundancy here, however – between now and the Mid-Year Top 12 posted in June, viewer can exercise six “saves” that will be entered directly into the finals in December.  This should catch any albums that were just too good to pass up.

Soccer Mommy – Sometimes, Forever VS Ziemba – True Romantic

Soccer Mommy – Sometimes, Forever

Soccer Mommy’s Daniel Lopatin-produced follow up to Color Theory stretches the boundaries of the project’s sound without changing its central mission statement: infectiously singable sounds backed by disarmingly rich instrumental accompaniment.  Hard Win.

Riverside - I.D.Entity VS. Charlotte Wessels – Six Feet Under v. 1&2

Riverside – I.D.Entity

I.D.Entity reminds me that I came to love progressive rock in the 80s, when 90125, Power Windows, and Clutching at Straws defined the genre.  This reinvented idea of progressive rock is often maligned by purists, but it resonates strongly with me.  Another hard win.

Broken Bells – Into the Blue VS. The Who – A Quick One

Broken Bells – Into the Blue

This win was a bit more hard-fought, and made more complicated by my recent reinvigorated interest in Pete Townshend.  I finally decided that I was assessing Broken Bells’ success by the Who’s potential as it is represented on A Quick One.  Its an amazing album, but doesn’t represent what the band would eventually evolve into.

Skald – Huldufolk VS. Pink Floyd – More OST

Skald – Huldufolk

Every time I listen to More, I am convinced that it is unstoppable – that is, until I get to the second half, which comes off like a collection of loose, jammy ditties.  Again, a pivotal album, but not one that represents the band’s best work.  I have a lot of respect for Skald and their dedication to reinventing traditional Nordic culture and showing its relevance for the present day.

 

Viewer’s Results

Soccer Mommy – Sometimes, Forever VS. Soup – Visions

Soup – Visions

 

Riverside – I.D. Entity VS. Sault – Today and Tomorrow

Riverside – I.D. Entity

 

Broken Bells – Into the Blue VS. The Who – A Quick One

Broken Bells – Into the Blue

 

Skald – Huldufolk VS. Rammstein – Sehnsucht

Rammstein - Sehnsucht

No comments:

Post a Comment