Saturday, September 14, 2024

2024 Album Showdown Results: Tier 6, Part 1


Its not uncommon for Tier 1 albums that get a second chance in Tier 5 to cause upsets due to increased familiarity. That definitely happened with a couple of these showdowns. Read on:


Maria BC - Spike Fields VS. Hildur Guðnadóttir - Saman

Maria BC - Spike Fields


A bit of an upset here.  The Spike Fields didn’t really resonate with me last January as a Tier 1 contender, while Saman immediately presented itself as an emotionally charged, if melancholic, exploration of Guðnadóttir’s voice and cello.  Increased familiarity, however, has been very kind to The Spike Fields, and when I listened to it in comparison to Saman, it seemed to be an entirely new and rich experience.




St. Vincent - All Born Screaming VS. La Luz - News of the Universe


St. Vincent - All Born Screaming


I really connected with News of the Universe.  It has a classic psychedelic vibe, excellent performances, and hooky songwriting.  All Born Screaming, however, showcases the eclectic genius of St. Vincent as well as her classic rock singer-songwriter vibe.  




Nick Hakim - Cometa VS. Lo Moon - I Wish You Way More Than Luck


Lo Moon - I Wish You Way More Than Luck


Cometa  is another Tier 1 album that has grown on me over the past half-year.  In many respects, it is the equal of I Wish You More Than Luck.  It comes down, then, to personal preference, and I would be less than honest if I claimed that Lo Moon’s Talk Talk meets Hogarth’s Marillion vibe didn’t lodge itself in my nostalgia gland.  




Knower - Knower Forever VS. Uniimog - Yfir hafið


Knower - Knower Forever


I really hate this particular decision, because I LOVE the vibe and execution of Yfir hafið.  There is something really special, however, about Knower Forever,  Many things, actually, including unbelievable musicianship, a defiant vibe, and a self-effacing approach that allows them to dodge criticisms of self-indulgence.




Viewer’s Choice


Maria BC - The Spike Fields VS. Hildur Guðnadóttir - Saman


Hildur Guðnadóttir - Saman





Caroline Rose - The Art of Forgetting  VS. La Luz - News of the Universe


La Luz - News of the Universe




Naoki Sato - Godzilla Minus One OST  VS. Lo Moon - I Wish You More Than Luck


Lo Moon - I Wish You More Than Luck



Knower - Knower Forever VS. Uniimog - Yfir hafið


Knower - Knower Forever


No comments:

Post a Comment