Sunday, August 25, 2024

2024 Album Showdown Results: Tier 5, Round 5


In the big scheme of things, the new entries in Tier 5 could be getting the short end of the stick.  They get a quick introduction during vacations, then are subjected to showdowns against albums that were under consideration months ago and now have the benefit of the familiarity borne of hindsight.  This scenario could cause very good albums to potentially be tossed aside due to little more than lack of exposure.  

Never fear - there is a redundancy in place.  Selected albums that were introduced in Tier 5 and eliminated will show up to fill in blanks in sudden death rounds at the end of the Fall and, in some cases, even in the following Spring.  That happened this year with Floating Points' Elaenia resulting in its inclusion in the mid-year top 12


Foxygen - Hang VS.The Lemon Twigs - A Dream Is All We Know

The Lemon Twigs - A Dream Is All We Know


This is, at least on paper, a pretty fair comparison. Foxygen and The Lemon Twigs are sort of made of the same reverently nostalgic power pop "stuff," although the pool of references steer in different directions.  Ultimately, I am a bigger fan of the Beach Boys than David Bowie, so that predilection lands this decision in the Lemon Twigs camp.



Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Maps VS. The Skatalites - Hi-Bop Ska


The Skatalites - Hi-Bop Ska


Despite significant critical acclaim, I have had a difficult time connecting with Maps.  Hi-Bop Ska, on the other hand, has quickly emerged as a regular family listen.  



Toehider - I Have Little to No Memory Of These Memories VS. All Traps On Earth - Drops of Light


Toehider - I Have Little To No Memory Of These Memories


Both of these albums are jarringly diverse, with similar stream-of-consciousness compositional approaches and stylistic diversions.  In this case, its the concept album that wins out.  I Have Little To No Memory Of These Memories justifies its disorienting stylistic twists and turns with its conceptual examination on the nature of memory.  



Mandy, Indiana - I’ve Seen a Way VS. Cloakroom - Dissolution Wave


Cloakroom - Dissolution Wave


Virtually every time I have pressed play on I've Seen a Way, I start out really connecting with its neo-industrial approach.  The album's back half, however, is littered with a few grating experiments that give me pause.  Dissolution Wave, conversely, has quickly grown on me as it reminds me what I really loved about first discovering the overwhelming beauty of essential shoegaze.  



Viewer’s Choice


Foxygen - Hang VS.The Lemon Twigs - A Dream Is All We Know


The Lemon Twigs - A Dream Is All We Know




Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Maps VS. The Skatalites - Hi-Bop Ska


The Skatalites - Hi-Bop Ska




88Kasyo Junrei - ◯△☐  VS. All Traps On Earth - Drops of Light


88Kasyo Junrei - ◯△☐




Mandy, Indiana - I’ve Seen a Way VS. Cloakroom - Dissolution Wave


Mandy, Indiana - I’ve Seen a Way



No comments:

Post a Comment