Friday, July 29, 2011

July Round-Up: There Might Be Some Changes Around Here....

Heads up: August’s round-up may take on a little different form, although I’m not sure what exactly that might be.  You see, if all goes according to plan, at this time next month, I will be the father of a newborn.  I would love to be able to say that I will have time to write vivid blog posts recounting every musical detail of the experience, but realistically I will probably be sleeping in two-hour shifts and up to my elbows in diapers, at least for a little while.  So I apologize in advance if I don’t hit the end of the month as diligently as usual.

Relatedly, a lot of people have asked me “What kind of music are you going to listen to with your kid?”  My easy, and honest, answer is “Whatever I’m listening to.”  A kid could do a lot worse than get brought into a world where Yes and James Blake are on the daily regimen.  What is more interesting, however, is how my listening may be affected by the presence of a musically impressionable newborn.  I think Indian music is the solution, just to get those microtonal ragas and solkattu in there before the media gets a grip on her.  We'll see....

Here’s what went through the player this month.  As usual, if there is an available example, I tried to include it in the playlist.  This is the new 21st century mostly family-friendly mixtape, delivered right to your inbox, so set it up and check it out in the background some afternoon. 
 
Battles - Gloss Drop:  The first half to three quarters of Gloss Drop are really, really strong, but the focus seems to drop off at a certain point.  I’m still a Battles fan, but they just aren’t the same without Tyondai.

Mouse on the Keys - An Anxious Object:  This album has a lot more depth than the Sezzions EP, so I think it may come in and out of the player a lot in the coming months.  It also has great packaging, by the way –  totally worth getting hardcopy.

Other Lives - Tamer Animals:  A sublimely lush and well-crafted piece of contemporary symphonic psychedelia.  It’s early in Other Lives’ career, and I am wondering how they plan to proceed after such an impressive work.

Hooray for Earth - True Loves: This album has ended up sticking to my ribs in the most peculiar way.  A must for fans of New Order-esque synth-pop.

Field Music – Measure:  I really can’t say anything more about this album than check it out.  It’s quite possibly a masterpiece that, in its own way, rivals Jellyfish in their heyday (that’s right, I said it).

Yes - Fly from Here: Yes fans are fighting like rabid dogs over this one - they can be worse than superhero fanboys in their own way.  I prefer just to enjoy the movie, y'know?

James Blake – This self-titled debut is so compelling that it made the other things I was listening to sound dumb.  It’s both expressive and alienating, and certainly worth wider attention. 

Ebu Gogo – Worlds: Sort of a prog tribute to the Super Mario Brothers soundtrack.  Worlds has a lot of technique and detail, but never strays too far from its playful essence.

Fictionist - Lasting Echo:  Fictionist is a jammy pop band that came through the feed a little while back.  They are not too bad, but also have not stood out too much as of yet.

Christian Scott – Anthem:  I don’t think that this particular album is the 21st century’s Kind of Blue.  I do think, however, that Scott may have that in him at some point in the future.

Deadmau5 – 4 X 4 = 12:  It was not my intention to give 4 X 4 = 12 a bad rap in my previous post, because there are several tracks I genuinely like.  I will say the “fast forward” sometimes looks inviting, though.

Isis - Wavering Radiant:  This one may have to simmer for awhile.  Although it currently has my attention, I often wonder why – still, it has its moments.

The Sword - Warp Riders:  I don’t know why I didn’t think about getting this back into play earlier this summer.  For those who like to rock, it’s a no-brainer.

Brahmah – Brahmah is a cross-cultural music ensemble comprised of UNT faculty.  I was fortunate enough to study under all of these musicians in back in the day, and this album beautifully showcases their individual mastery and collective flexibility.

Serj Tankian - Elect the Dead:  A killer hard-rock protest album from a few years ago by the lead singer of System of a Down.  This one probably needs its own retrospective-style posting someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment